Like all Literary Agencies, we receive a high volume of submissions of all kinds, so it is important that you give yourself the best chance by preparing well before sending your work.
How can you make your submission stand out from the rest?
Are you ready?
Please do not submit unfinished work; we want to see writing and illustration at a stage at which you consider it publishable.
Attention to detail
Many writers undermine their own work with undisciplined spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Avoid wasting your own time
We do not consider poetry, playscripts or short stories.
Consider your reader
A publisher wants to publish good books that will sell in quantity, and internationally. In your pitch, tell us what it is about your book that makes you believe it can be a commercial success? What kind of reader do you envisage with your book in their hand? To whom will a publisher, bookseller or librarian sell or borrow your book? For whom are you writing?
Is Fraser Ross Associates the right Agency for you?
This website and our client list will give you an idea of the kind of writers, illustrators and books with whom we are working at present. But we are always open to new ideas.
Please read the following guidelines carefully before making your submission.
Submission Guidelines for Fraser Ross Associates:
We accept unsolicited submissions by post and email - please follow the guidelines carefully.
Postal submissions should be sent to:
Fraser Ross Associates, 6/2 Wellington Place, Edinburgh EH6 7EQ
Email submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
When submitting by email, the email itself is the covering letter. You need not attach a separate document.
The format for submissions should be
- A4, double-spaced, with pages numbered. If sending hard copies, not stapled or bound in any way.
- Emailed submissions should be Word or RTF documents, not PDFs
For novels, please send:
- The first three chapters (or equivalent) - email as a single document, not separate chapters
- Synopsis of novel (Please note - we need a synopsis, not a blurb
- Total word count for the completed book
For non-fiction, please send:
- A one page proposal, including the envisaged readership and the reasons you are the best person to be writing this book
- Opening chapter, and two further chapters
For picture books, please send:
- The complete manuscript without illustrations
- If you are the illustrator, please include 2 or 3 samples of your artwork (do not send originals) - colour - and a rough black and white storyboard/thumbnail sketches of the complete story, OR, if you prefer, a dummy rough of the proposed book.
For all submissions, please send:
- An informal writing cv including past publications, if any, and an outline of your writing ambitions
- Full contact details, including email
- If you wish your manuscript returned, please enclose a stamped addressed envelope. We cannot return manuscripts to writers living overseas.
Please do not send published books - even if you have published them yourselves. We want to see new work.
Please remember that literary agents like Fraser Ross Associates do not help writers to promote or sell existing books, including self-published books.
Our response time
We receive so many submissions every month that - regrettably - we can no longer respond to them all. We consider all submissions in date order. But we can only respond to those writers to whom we feel we can offer representation. If, after 8 weeks, you have not heard from us, you can assume that your submission is not one we feel we can take any further.
Because of the number of submissions we receive, and our commitments to existing clients, we cannot offer feedback on submissions other than those we may want to take further.
Fraser Ross Associates can take no responsibility for the safe arrival or return of any manuscripts and/or artwork samples submitted.